Where can I use?
It's amazing how a simple cover of furniture can dramatically change the look of the whole room, hide the annoying color or upholstery defects, add a bright accent to the boring interior. Especially popular is the use of these accessories on the chairs in the nursery, in the kitchen or in the dining room. Sewing covers is much cheaper than changing upholstery or furniture. Not to do without them during festive events, for example, when decorating interiors during holidays, wedding ceremonies.
Such covers will decorate your interior
Today, furniture covers of various colors and styles can be found in many stores, you can order tailoring of the desired model in any studio. But it is much more interesting to make them yourself, choosing the right fabric and deciding on the style of the future product. It will also help save money, especially if you decorate several pieces of furniture at once.
Covers are distinguished by their beauty and possibilities of use, as well as ease of manufacture. Sew this accessory by yourself even a not very experienced master will be able to.
The ability to drastically change the look of the whole roomreturn to menu ↑
Types of models
There are different types of covers. Before you make a pattern, decide which option you will do:
- solid (they cover the entire chair, they can hide flaws, but are more difficult to sew, require more fabric than the other options);
- separate back and seat mats (suitable for a child's room);
- half-cups (do not cover the chair completely);
- exclusively on the back (easy to sew, often used for festive decoration);
- only on the seat (protect upholstery from dirt).
Unfortunately, to find a cover pattern that would fit any chair or stool is simply impossible. On the Internet you can find some schemes, but most often you have to build an individual pattern for a specific product.
White is not practical for everyday use.return to menu ↑
Measurements and pattern
In order for the pattern to be accurate, and the product to sit well, you should first take measurements.1Remove measurements. Depending on the model of the cover, you need to measure the height-width of the seat and back, as well as the estimated length of the product. Especially carefully approach the measurements of the legs of the chair, since in some models they can expand downwards. In this case, it is necessary to make several measurements at the top, and then at the base of the chair. The widest and narrowest areas are noted on our drawing.2Drawing. Before you transfer the measurements to the pattern, draw a drawing on paper, we note all the measurements taken there. The simplest pattern is for a single cut cover: it simplifies sewing, but requires a little more fabric than cutting out all the details separately.Pattern After that, proceed directly to the pattern in full size. It can be built on tracing paper, a newspaper or wallpaper remnants, repeating a schematic drawing.4Check pattern. To be completely sure that the pattern turned out to be correct, we apply it to the chair, fix it with scotch tape. Thus, we can see all possible inaccuracies in the construction of the drawing and correct them before sewing. 5Final version. Then we build the final version of the pattern - with seam allowances (approximately 2 cm on each side).
Before sewing, you should first take measurementsreturn to menu ↑
The choice of fabric
To choose a fabric for tailoring the cover should be based on the characteristics of the interior and the purpose of the furniture. For example, a product for a kitchen chair should have not only a decorative function, but also be practical, easy to wear off.For the kitchen or dining room fit thick fabrics, for example, cotton or gabardine - these are soft, pleasant fabrics that tolerate washing well. Fabric for the kitchen can be selected to match the color of the curtains or tablecloths.
Covers made of furniture fabric will look great in the living room. For the interior in the style of country or boho models are also suitable for cotton or flax, for a classic style you need to choose a fabric of soothing colors. To create folds, ruffle crepe-satin is suitable.For registration of stools at the cottages suitable lycra or microfiber, which are easily erased, dry quickly. On such furniture is not recommended to use long models, as they very quickly get dirty there.
Choose fabric on the basis of interior features.
Making the nursery, you can use the most unusual ideas. As a fabric for covers, you can use cotton, fleece, flock, fur, jeans, as well as any remnants that are found at home.
For a formal decoration, you can use more festive, expensive options, such as satin, brocade or organza. They look beautiful on banquet chairs with jacquard capes.BoardYou should not buy a very expensive fabric for everyday use - it is likely that it will be in the wash more often than other things and will quickly become unusable.
Soft and comfortable option
For sewing covers, we need the following tools and materials:
- the cloth;
- foam rubber or synthetic winterizer;
- cardboard or newspaper for the pattern;
- centimeter, ruler;
- chalk or pencil;
- needles, pins;
- sewing accessories;
- various decorations.
For a child's roomreturn to menu ↑
Options that are easy to use
Consider all the options that you can easily do with your own hands. All the nuances and phased implementation further.return to menu ↑
We sew a cover on a chair with a back
- After we measured the height of the backrest, legs, and the width of the chair, we make a pattern of three elements: rectangles covering the sides and the back with a seat. Do not forget to add a couple of centimeters to the seams.
- Transfer the pattern to the fabric. Since we are dealing with rectangular parts, for greater accuracy, you can use the ruler.
- Carefully cut out all the details with the share thread.
- First of all we sew the side edges.
- Then go to the side and bottom slice of the back of the back. They should be tuck, then stitch.
- Sew side parts to the seat.
- We turn over, we sew cuts of side and front parts of a product.
- Ready-made covers can be decorated with a bow or other decor on the back of the chair.
Option of jeansreturn to menu ↑
We sew a simple seat mat
The easiest option, which is suitable even for beginners, is the usual seat for stool. Sew it fast enough.Step-by-step instruction
- From a cardboard or other material we make a pattern according to the form of a stool seat;
- using the obtained pattern, we cut out from the fabric three parts of the same shape and size (for the front, seamy side + synthetic winterizer);
- the synthetic winterizer is placed between two fabric parts, fixed with pins;
- in order to quit future seat mats, you need to stitch them in straight lines parallel to each other;
- we take in advance prepared slanting bake for edging, leaving the ends as future ties;
- strings are carefully folded in half, stitched on a typewriter;
- sew on a typewriter backing on the sides of the product.
Easy do it yourselfreturn to menu ↑
Case on an elastic band on a round stool
This accessory can be sewn even from a small piece of fabric.Step-by-step instruction
- In the beginning, as usual, we make a pattern. In order not to bother with measuring devices, calculating the diameter, you can simply attach a sheet of cardboard or newspaper to the surface of the stool, then cut along the contour.
- We transfer the drawing to a new sheet of paper, adding a few centimeters along the contour.
- On the basis of the pattern obtained, we cut out the fabric part.
- We put gum on the edge of the fabric, tuck the fabric, stitch it.
- Our case is ready - it remains only to put it on the stool.
Provence stylereturn to menu ↑
Crochet chair covers
Knitted cover can be an interesting option to decorate the room. Crocheting will take more time than sewing a simple model, but the result will be a special and original thing. Especially cozy furniture crocheted, will look in the winter, as it creates an atmosphere of comfort and warmth.
Most often, crochet knit round or square models for seating stools. Consider an example of knitting a simple round case:
- The upper part is made of rows of lush columns, separated by short chains of air loops.
- Bend we do, tying several rows in columns without additions. Thus, they will form a flat side (for greater stability, we make the side higher).
- In the last row we knit air loops - at the end, you can insert a fixing elastic band or lace into them to fix the product on the stool.
An interesting room decoration option
Using various knitting patterns, you can make absolutely any model with your own hands. For example, the so-called case-flower or models, crocheted from motifs (they can also be decorated with knitted appliqués of flowers).BoardNo need to be shy in choosing bright, saturated colors. Multi-colored knitting threads can add originality, liven up the interior. Return to the menu
A cover from an old sweater
If knitting is not your fad, but the beauty and comfort of knitted covers do not give rest, try to make them from an old sweater. For this fit any thing the right size and color, knitted, large or medium knitting.The edges of the sweater must be carefully processed so that in the future the resulting thing will not be dissolved.
Pillow will add comfort when sittingDepending on the size of the sweater, you can sew a cape only on the seat or on the back, or you can get a one-piece accessory, for example, using a few old items. Especially atmospheric look large volumetric patterns in soft bed tones.BoardKnitted products can stretch, so they are better to do 1-2 cm less in width or diameter.
You can also sew models not only from knitwear, but also from other old things in good condition. For example, from small jeans or a coat. The main thing is that the style of the received product matches the interior of the room.
On a children's chair
As nowhere else relevant covers on the chairs in the nursery. Bright, elegant fabrics are able to decorate the interior of the nursery, to interest the little restless. In addition, they are indispensable in protecting furniture from the imprints of dirty hands, spilled drinks or traces of children's creativity.
When sewing such accessories in the nursery, you can give free rein to your imagination: images of cartoon characters, funny animals, flowers, cars, princesses - all that the child will be incredibly happy about.
The product is sewn on a standard pattern, as for a regular stool. All measurements are preliminarily performed. Very often for children's furniture, capes are sewn only on the back: they cut out two rectangular parts, sew in three places. At the end, you can draw a picture or decorate it with a cloth, sew "bunny ears" or, for example, arrange it in the form of a snowman.
In the interior of the children's roomBoardFrom the inside, so that the cover does not slip, you can sew decorative laces, which will be tied by the legs of the stool. You can also use buttons, ribbons or elastic. Return to menu ↑
On the highchair
Covers are made of easily washable fabric on highchairs for feeding. They can make life easier for young parents, because keeping a chair clean is almost impossible. In addition, the cover will provide additional protection for the child against slipping and, as a result, bruises.If you decide to sew yourself, you need to carefully approach the choice of fabric: it should not cause irritation to the baby. Best fit is thick cotton for the inside, softer cotton or batiste for the exterior and synthetic winterizer as a small layer.
For the bride and groom
- The pattern can be made by removing the piece from the old cover, or use the finished pattern for a standard high chair.
- Cutting all three parts of the product according to the pattern, we put it together (inside out to each other), we do the outline, and then we sew it on the typewriter.
- We turn on the front side, fold the non-sewn edges inward, then sew again. Also sew, if necessary, pockets, ties or straps.
On the office chair
A computer chair can very quickly lose its appearance due to scuffs on the seat. With the help of a cover, you can update a worn-out chair, make it more convenient, comfortable, or simply revive an office by decorating an inconspicuous chair with bright decor.
To quickly sew a model for an office chair, follow the instructions below:
- We apply transparent tracing paper to the details of the chair (seat and back), draw a pencil around the contour.
- We add seam allowances to the obtained patterns (2 cm for the back, 5 cm for the seat, to hem the edge and insert the gum there), cut and cut the fabric.
- For the back we cut 2 identical parts, which are then stitched from three sides (except the bottom).
- For sitting you can sew a cover with a skirt that will cover the legs. Or with a rubber band that fits the seat mat tightly. Such model will be suitable for an office chair on castors.
Simple and stylish optionreturn to menu ↑
Patchwork (or patchwork) can be a great idea when you need to sew a cover onto a chair, and a large number of small pieces of fabric are gathered at home. At the same time, it does not matter at all what color they are and how similar the picture is. The peculiarity of this type of needlework is that it is possible to combine pieces of fabric that are different in texture and color.To make an accessory in the style of patchwork, you need to prepare blocks - squares or rectangles of the same size cut out of fabric. Their size and quantity will depend on the size of our future product.
You can use decorative pillows
- Before you sew all the details together, you need to expand them to make the desired composition. Everything here depends only on our imagination, for example, you can try to convey a gradient or just leave an unsystematic drawing.
- Then the parts are folded inward and sewn together on a typewriter. The fabric is gently ironed.
Thus you can sew a stylish cover on the seat of the stool. To make it more soft and comfortable, you can add a synthetic winterizer inside.Accessories in patchwork style will suit the interior in the style of country, Provence, boho, as well as decorate a children's bedroom or a game room. Return to the menu
Particularly relevant are the covers for the legs of chairs in rooms with tiled floors or parquet, on which scratches often remain when moving furniture.
They are easy to sew or crochet or knit, they do not require a large consumption of material and look very cute. Such knitted “socks” or even “knee-highs” for furniture legs will look especially good with openwork seat and back covers knitted from the same yarn.return to menu ↑
When decorating wedding chairs, the choice of colors and fabrics, as a rule, depends on the style and theme of the celebration. Fabric covers look elegant, but often expensive. You can save if you make such products yourself.BoardTo reduce the cost of fabric, you can only sew capes on the backs of chairs.
When decorating the furniture for the wedding, you can do without sewing: the chairs are simply wrapped with pieces of fabric and fixed with ribbons. Decorate with artificial flowers, lace or bow (you can fix it with a thermogun or just sew it with a needle).
Bride chair decoration
For wedding decor, guipure, silk, satin, organza or chiffon are usually chosen. The fabric can be as light colors - white, beige, soft pink, cream, and contrast - red and white, white and orange. Chairs should not be in the center of attention, but organically complement the overall composition.The decoration of the chairs of the bride and groom may differ from the guest. For example, they can be styled as wedding dresses for the newlyweds: a white tail coat with a black bow tie by the groom and a long white dress with flowers by the bride.
Usually selected guipure, silk, satin, organza or chiffonBoardIf you add a large number of ties to the seat covers, it is very often not to sew the parts together, as the ties will firmly join them. Turn back to the menu
Themed party, wedding anniversary, bachelorette party or birthday is another reason to decorate the interior, including chairs for guests.Festive decoration will not only delight the kids, but also surprise and amuse adults.
For children's birthdays and holidays at home or in kindergarten, you can use a decor to turn a piece of furniture into an element of the game or even a developing toy. For example, to make a cover-kitchen in the form of a plate, where the kids will train to prepare, or in the form of machines for role-playing games.
New Year or Christmas models can be decorated in the form of Santa Claus, snowmen, deer, cubs, gingerbread men and other favorite characters. This holiday will be remembered for a long time!
And when you make a Halloween, you can't do without ghosts, pumpkins, bats and cobwebs. Even a regular bright orange case or in combination with black will create an amazing holiday atmosphere for both children and their parents.