Content of this article:
Features of use
Due to such ease of installation, as well as humane price and high strength, Siding is actively used in various fields:
- for facing the basement, which follows from its name - it looks beautiful, it is easily combined with insulation, and also protects the main wall covering from the effects of the external environment;
- the decoration of the veranda, porch and similar ancillaries;
- interior decoration, which are not used as residential areas and where humidity prevails;
- facing courtyard buildings - it looks good if the same siding is used to design the basement of the house, and for all other buildings on the site.
Brick ground sidingThe specific advantage of siding is that it can be made from several materials to choose from and can also imitate them - if you want to make a wooden-looking house, you can easily use plastic siding with wood imitation. Return to menu ↑ return to menu
It depends on the material how good the siding will be, how long it will last and how much it will cost.
Easily combined with materials.return to menu ↑
Plastic panels are made of either polyvinyl chloride in pure form or coated with a second layer of acrylic. The advantages of both solutions are approximately the same:
- Chemical Resistance. In acrylic, it is somewhat higher, but if you are going to wash the base with ordinary home remedies, the difference is not noticeable.
- Resistance to temperatures. Vinyl can be used at temperatures ranging from minus forty to plus sixty, while acrylic can safely withstand temperatures up to plus eighty. For central Russia is suitable, and then, and more.
- Resistance to biological hazards. Any pests are not interested in plastic at all; no additional treatment is needed.
- No toxic effects. It is valid only for acrylic - it doesn’t matter how much it heats up, it will not emit any harmful substances.
- Resistance to electricity. Plastic, in principle, does not conduct electricity.
- Resistance to open fire. Plastic does not burn, only smolders, and if you remove the source of fire from it, it will very quickly fade out by itself.
- UV resistance. There is only acrylic - no matter how long it will be in direct sunlight, it will not change the color.
- Durability. Plastic service life is up to fifty years. Acrylic can reach up to sixty, especially if painted in rich shades of dark colors.
- Price. Plastic is lower than other materials. Although acrylic is considered somewhat more expensive - one plate costs a hundred rubles more than vinyl.
Plastic siding does not burn, only smolderingThe disadvantages of acrylic siding are minimal - if it is manufactured in violation of technology, then over time it will deform and lose color. Otherwise, they actually do not have, with the exception of a specific appearance: not everyone likes at home, lined with plastic base.
The cons of vinyl more:
- Sensitive to synthetic detergents. It can be washed only by what the manufacturer specifically recommended.
- Not too sensitive to prolonged exposure to temperature.. If it freezes, it becomes brittle and cracks easily from mechanical impact. If it warms up, it will become too soft and begin to deform.
- Accumulates electricity. A person will not be harmed by this, but dust will be attracted, which will often have to be washed off.
- In the bright sun gradually fades. This process can be slowed down by frequent processing, but in fact it is easier to buy acrylic siding.
Too bright colors can fade in the sun.BoardPlastic is good for modern styles, as well as for small budgets. You will not have to count with him, but will you stand the walls. Return to the menu ↑
Wood siding has its advantages:
- beauty. Perhaps this is its main advantage - the tree looks beautiful, attractive, great for a house made in one of the classic styles.
- High thermal insulation performance. A thinner layer of insulation will be needed - and in warm regions it may not be necessary at all.
- Reliability. With proper frequent treatment, wood does not suffer from temperature changes, moisture, is insensitive to pests and can serve for years and years.
Indeed, siding under the tree looks very nice
But everything is complemented by cons:
- Processing need. So that the tree does not crack, it does not rot, so that the bug does not eat it - it needs to be processed twice a year. And this is not a panacea.
- Lack of stability in front of fire. The tree is burning. If the siding lights up, it will be difficult to put it out.
- Lack of resistance to mechanical damage. It cracks easily.
Such material may crack over time.BoardWood is a rare solution, almost exotic. It is often used for interior decoration, but for the base it is better to choose plastic that imitates wood. Return to the menu
Metal panels also have the advantages:
- Reliability. Metal - a material resistant to almost everything. He does not eat pests, he does not fade in the sun, does not suffer from water, does not melt from high temperatures.
- Durability. Longer than metal is, perhaps, only a stone.
Each material has both advantages and disadvantages.
For the siding is used such a metal that does not rust or oxidize, even without additional processing.
This is partly due to its main disadvantages:
- High cost. Metal panels are not affordable for everyone.
- Specific appearance. Not every house will look good if sheathed it with metal siding.
- Heaviness. Of course, this is not a natural stone, but transportation, and then installation can cost you many experiences and strengths.
Metal siding is more expensive than many materialsBoardIf you like modern styles, and the budget does not require particularly to restrain desires, metal as the main material is quite suitable for you. Return to the menu
Fiber cement is, of course, not a natural stone, but still something similar. It consists of cement and additional elements that provide it with additional strength.
Fiber cement siding gives a feeling of warmth
It has the corresponding advantages:
- Resilience. Does not suffer from temperature changes, moisture, does not burn, they are not interested in pests - from rats to mold with fungus.
- No deformation. Even at high temperatures, it retains its original shape, unlike the same plastic.
- Soundproofing. Provides good insulation by itself, additional layers may not be needed.
Does not suffer from temperature changes
There are also disadvantages:
- Lack of resistance to mechanical stress. If you hit the panel hard, a piece is likely to break away from it.
- Absorbs moisture. A little, about five percent, but if you live in an area with high rainfall, siding can absorb moisture and deform.
Also on the wall, covered with fiber cement siding, the seams will be perfectly visible - this minus is to some extent inherent in all panels, but here it is especially pronounced.
Absorbs moisture wellBoardFiber cement is worth taking if you like it visually or if you live in a hot, arid area where the plastic will overheat and the wood cracks. Return to menu return to menu
How to refine the house with the help of siding?
The thickness of the siding can be:
- Thin, to fifteen millimeters. It weighs quite a bit, easily bent. It is with such panels that you need to finish the house if you have a non-standard shape - for example, a semicircular.
- Average up to twenty five. This is an average decision. It weighs moderately, moderately withstands mechanical stress. Usually needs additional weatherization.
- Thick over twenty five. Such panels weigh quite a lot, but are also thick enough so that you don’t need to install additional insulation or sound insulation - the siding itself will compensate for everything.
Siding may vary in thickness
The width and length of the criteria are other:
- "Boards". Such panels are quite small, up to half a meter. They can be used to simulate brickwork or a plank wall. It is easy to replace a broken element, as well as the overall stability of the structure more. But it is more difficult to lay.
- "Panels". Up to one and a half meters in length. These panels, wide, flat. Lay them easy, replace too.
- "Seams". Most often square, about two and a half meters. Allow to completely close part of the wall.
The most neutral solution is bricklaying.
Color also plays a role:
- Light colors. Make the house more visually, usually used for modern styles. There may be problems with washing - small debris on light can be better seen. Goes well with the bright dark colors of the roof and other elements.
- Dark colors. They may look gloomy, but they can be attractive, juicy. They allow you to ignore minor pollution for longer, at a certain feed they are just perfect for classic styles.
Light colors make the house look great.
There are also panels with patterns, but sometimes it is easier to paint yourself than to find.return to menu ↑ return to menu ↑
How to choose a specific siding?
Having decided on what should be the siding, it remains only to go to the store and order the required quantity. In the process, remember the basic rules well:
- Quality. Panels should be smooth, without dents and protrusions, no knots, if we are talking about a tree. No cracks, no deformation, no color change. If something is present, it means that the quality leaves much to be desired. At the same time, it is advisable to choose a panel from the middle of the package for inspection - so there is less chance that the seller will try to deceive you.
- Docking. Take two panels and try to dock them. This should happen easily, there should be no gaps. If this is not fiber cement, the joints should be practically invisible. Disconnecting items should also be easy.
- Holes. In most elements there are holes for screws. They must be the same size, otherwise you will have to either increase the part or deal with the water that has penetrated under the siding.
- Thickness. Over the entire length of the element it must be the same thickness. If not, then it was deformed, does not differ in special quality.
With horizontal laying the house seems wider.BoardWell, if the store will be verified. It is best to use the recommendations of friends who have already used the services, but you can also access the Internet. Just make sure that the reviews are not of the same type - there is a chance that they are customized.
You can deliver siding yourself, you can order delivery from the seller. The first is easier if you have your car, the second is calmer, because if the elements on the road are damaged, no one will compensate for this if you transport yourself.
Choose materials carefully before purchasing.
In addition, not all siding fit into a normal passenger car. For metal, you usually have to hire a truck.
In addition, when you get tired of how your house looks, you can always change the siding and live not in a wooden building, but in a brick or metal building, depending on what you want this time.